- PhD, McGill University
- Professor, Radiology
- Phone: 4342439420
- Email: email@example.com
Cellular and genetic determinants of atherosclerosis and restenosis.
My research is directed at identifying cellular components and genes that contribute to the development of atherosclerosis and restenosis after vascular injury. Mouse strains C57BL/6J (B6) and C3H/HeJ (C3H) are well characterized as models for diet-induced atherosclerosis. When fed a high fat/cholesterol diet containing cholate, B6 mice readily develop fatty streak lesions at the aortic root, whereas C3H mice are nearly completely resistant to lesion formation. However, interpretation of the results is complicated by differences between the two strains in plasma lipid levels and systemic inflammatory changes induced by cholate. To exclude influence from the cholate-containing diet, we have constructed a congenic strain of C3H mice carrying the apoE null allele. Despite comparable plasma lipid levels, C3H.apoE-deficient mice developed much smaller lesions than their B6.apoE-deficient counterpart. By reciprocal bone-marrow transplantation, we have demonstrated that the difference in atherosclerosis susceptibility is not associated with bone marrow-derived cells. In ex vivo studies, we have observed that endothelial cells are a source of differences between the two strains in atherosclerosis susceptibility. We are now testing the hypothesis that the two strains would develop similar atherosclerotic lesions in the absence of endothelial cells. B6.apoE- and C3H.apoE-deficient mice will be subject to wire endothelial denudation of the left common carotid artery, and intimal lesions in the vessel will be assessed.
- Banizs A, Huang T, Dryden K, Berr S, Stone J, Nakamoto R, Shi W, He J. In vitro evaluation of endothelial exosomes as carriers for small interfering ribonucleic acid delivery. International journal of nanomedicine. 2014;9 4223-30. PMID: 25214786 | PMCID: PMC4159392
- Rowlan J, Zhang Z, Wang Q, Fang Y, Shi W. New quantitative trait loci for carotid atherosclerosis identified in an intercross derived from apolipoprotein E-deficient mouse strains. Physiological genomics. 2013;45(8): 332-42. PMID: 23463770 | PMCID: PMC3633429
- Zhang Z, Rowlan J, Wang Q, Shi W. Genetic analysis of atherosclerosis and glucose homeostasis in an intercross between C57BL/6 and BALB/cJ apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Circulation. Cardiovascular genetics. 2012;5(2): 190-201. PMID: 22294616 | PMCID: PMC3329596
- Chen S, Chen W, Shi W, Ma H. Spectroscopic response of ferrocene derivatives bearing a BODIPY moiety to water: a new dissociation reaction. Chemistry (Weinheim an der Bergstrasse, Germany). 2011;18(3): 925-30. PMID: 22161822
- Li J, Wang Q, Chai W, Chen M, Liu Z, Shi W. Hyperglycemia in apolipoprotein E-deficient mouse strains with different atherosclerosis susceptibility. Cardiovascular diabetology. 2011;10 117. PMID: 22204493 | PMCID: PMC3273441
- Wang J, Zhang J, Wu J, Luo D, Su K, Shi W, Liu J, Tian Y, Wei L. MicroRNA-610 inhibits the migration and invasion of gastric cancer cells by suppressing the expression of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein. European journal of cancer (Oxford, England : 1990). 2011;48(12): 1904-13. PMID: 22189055
- Wang W, Shi W, Li H. A modified in vitro method to obtain pure astrocyte cultures induced from mouse hippocampal neural stem cells using clonal expansion. Cellular and molecular neurobiology. 2011;32(3): 373-80. PMID: 22169983
- Zhang Y, Ge Y, Chen Y, Li Q, Chen J, Dong Y, Shi W. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of silibinin induces cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis on HeLa cells. Cell biochemistry and function. 2011;30(3): 243-8. PMID: 22170400