- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
My academic interest is combining optics and ultrasound for in vivo high-resolution imaging of anatomical, functional, metabolic, molecular, and genetic contrasts at multiple spatial and temporal scales. This research effort encompasses three aspects: revealing new optical contrast mechanisms for enhanced imaging sensitivity and specificity, ultrasonically bridging the spatial gaps between microscopic laboratory research and macroscopic clinical practice, and pushing the technical envelope to cover temporal scales that range from fast hemodynamics to chronic developmental and aging processes. Our group will focus on both life science applications and clinical translation.
My current research focuses on photoacoustic microscopy (PAM), a fast-growing modality complementing existing microscopy techniques with rich physiological contrasts based on optical absorption and broad spatial scalability based on ultrasonic detection. Optical-resolution PAM (OR-PAM), which I have developed with my colleagues, refines the spatial scale of traditional photoacoustic imaging from organ to cell level in vivo, and spans a temporal scale from microseconds to a lifetime. In the few years since its invention in 2007, OR-PAM has found broad applications in neurology, vascular biology, oncology, dermatology, ophthalmology, developmental biology, cardiology, and tissue engineering.
- Cao R, Kilroy J, Ning B, Wang T, Hossack J, Hu S. Multispectral photoacoustic microscopy based on an optical-acoustic objective. Photoacoustics. 2015;3(2): 55-9. PMID: 26236641 | PMCID: PMC4519805
- Dixon A, Hu S, Klibanov A, Hossack J. Oscillatory Dynamics and In Vivo Photoacoustic Imaging Performance of Plasmonic Nanoparticle-Coated Microbubbles. Small (Weinheim an der Bergstrasse, Germany). 2015;11(25): 3066-77. PMID: 25703465 | PMCID: PMC4490110
- Yeh C, Soetikno B, Hu S, Maslov K, Wang L. Microvascular quantification based on contour-scanning photoacoustic microscopy. Journal of biomedical optics. 2014;19(9): 96011. PMID: 25223708 | PMCID: PMC4164706
- Wang L, Hu S. Photoacoustic tomography: in vivo imaging from organelles to organs. Science (New York, N.Y.). 2012;335(6075): 1458-62. PMID: 22442475 | PMCID: PMC3322413
- Hu S, Maslov K, Wang L. Second-generation optical-resolution photoacoustic microscopy with improved sensitivity and speed. Optics letters. 2011;36(7): 1134-6. PMID: 21479007 | PMCID: PMC3076123
- Oladipupo S, Hu S, Kovalski J, Yao J, Santeford A, Sohn R, Shohet R, Maslov K, Wang L, Arbeit J. VEGF is essential for hypoxia-inducible factor-mediated neovascularization but dispensable for endothelial sprouting. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2011;108(32): 13264-9. PMID: 21784979 | PMCID: PMC3156154
- Hu S, Wang L. Neurovascular photoacoustic tomography. Frontiers in neuroenergetics. 2010;2 10. PMID: 20616885 | PMCID: PMC2899522