Mark B. Williams
- BS, Grinnell College
- PhD, University of Virginia
- MS, Wake Forest University
- Associate Professor, Radiology
- Phone: 434-982-4422
- Email: email@example.com
Design, Development and Optimization of Medical Imaging Technologies
The general area of research in my lab is the design, development, and optimizationof medical imaging technologies. The following projects are underway:
1) Dual modality breast imaging: We are developing an integrated imaging system that combines the sensitivity of digital mammography with the specificity of scintimammography in a single compact, upright unit. The imaging system functions by obtaining mirror-image x-ray transmission and gamma emission images concurrently with the breast in a single configuration. Co-registration then correlates the gamma and x-ray images to within a fraction of a pixel.
2) Molecular imaging system for small animal research: We are developing a tomographic imaging system that permits simultaneous acquisition of high resolution functional (SPECT) and structural (x-ray CT) images from mice and rats. The resulting fused image correlates the radiotracer distribution with the morphological information provided by the x-ray data. A similar 2-dimensional system is being routinely utilized as a component of the Small Animal Multimodality Imaging Center for mouse and rat studies in gene expression imaging, radiation oncology and diagnostic radiology.
3) Evaluation of basic imaging properties of early commercial systems for digital breast imaging. Characteristics being quantified include sensitivity, linearity, spatial resolution, noise properties, and detective quantum efficiency. We are working with a consortium of detector physicists located across North America to develop uniform evaluation methods and to produce a combined data set.
- Culp S, Schellhammer P, Williams M. Might men diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer benefit from definitive treatment of the primary tumor? A SEER-based study. European urology. 2013;65(6): 1058-66. PMID: 24290503
- Zhang Y, Xiao L, Popovic K, Xie X, Chordia M, Chung L, Williams M, Yue W, Pan D. Novel cancer-targeting SPECT/NIRF dual-modality imaging probe (99m)Tc-PC-1007: synthesis and biological evaluation. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters. 2013;23(23): 6350-4. PMID: 24125889
- Gong Z, Klanian K, Patel T, Sullivan O, Williams M. Implementation and evaluation of an expectation maximization reconstruction algorithm for gamma emission breast tomosynthesis. Medical physics. 2012;39(12): 7580-92. PMID: 23231306 | PMCID: PMC3523572
- Locke L, Mayo M, Yoo A, Williams M, Berr S. PET imaging of tumor associated macrophages using mannose coated 64Cu liposomes. Biomaterials. 2012;33(31): 7785-93. PMID: 22840225
- Dengel L, More M, Judy P, Petroni G, Smolkin M, Rehm P, Majewski S, Williams M, Slingluff C. Intraoperative imaging guidance for sentinel node biopsy in melanoma using a mobile gamma camera. Annals of surgery. 2011;253(4): 774-8. PMID: 21475019
- Locke L, Williams M, Fairchild K, Zhong M, Kundu B, Berr S. FDG-PET Quantification of Lung Inflammation with Image-Derived Blood Input Function in Mice. International journal of molecular imaging. 2011;2011 356730. PMID: 22187641 | PMCID: PMC3236466
- Williams M, Judy P, Gunn S, Majewski S. Dual-modality breast tomosynthesis. Radiology. 2010;255(1): 191-8. PMID: 20308457 | PMCID: PMC2843832
- Yen W, Williams M, Periasamy A, Conaway M, Burdsal C, Keller R, Lu X, Sutherland A. PTK7 is essential for polarized cell motility and convergent extension during mouse gastrulation. Development (Cambridge, England). 2009;136(12): 2039-48. PMID: 19439496 | PMCID: PMC2685725
- Williams M, Raghunathan P, More M, Seibert J, Kwan A, Lo J, Samei E, Ranger N, Fajardo L, McGruder A, McGruder S, Maidment A, Yaffe M, Bloomquist A, Mawdsley G. Optimization of exposure parameters in full field digital mammography. Med Phys. 2008;35(6): 2414-23. PMCID: PMC2809723
- Williams M, Raghunathan P, More M, Seibert J, Kwan A, Lo J, Samei E, Ranger N, Fajardo L, McGruder A, McGruder S, Maidment A, Yaffe M, Bloomquist A, Mawdsley G. Optimization of exposure parameters in full field digital mammography. Medical physics. 2008;35(6): 2414-23. PMID: 18649474 | PMCID: PMC2809723