- Assistant Professor, Chemistry
Lipid Metabolism in Inflammation and Immunity
Professor Hsu’s research program aims to integrate chemical biology and mass spectrometry-based technologies to address fundamental challenges associated with studying regulation of metabolism in vivo. His goal is to develop new chemical and bioanalytical methods to understand pathways of metabolic regulation and translate these findings into new therapeutic strategies for inflammatory and metabolic disease. To achieve his goals, Professor Hsu’s group synthesizes and applies small molecule probes and inhibitors to detect and inactivate metabolic enzymes and pathways in complex biological systems in vivo.
- Chang J, Zuhl A, Speers A, Niessen S, Brown S, Mulvihill M, Fan Y, Spicer T, Southern M, Scampavia L, Fernandez-Vega V, Dix M, Cameron M, Hodder P, Rosen H, Nomura D, Kwon O, Hsu K, Cravatt B. Selective Inhibitor of Platelet-Activating Factor Acetylhydrolases 1b2 and 1b3 That Impairs Cancer Cell Survival. ACS chemical biology. 2015. PMID: 25602368
- Inloes J, Hsu K, Dix M, Viader A, Masuda K, Takei T, Wood M, Cravatt B. The hereditary spastic paraplegia-related enzyme DDHD2 is a principal brain triglyceride lipase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2014;111(41): 14924-9. PMID: 25267624 | PMCID: PMC4205627
- Hsu K, Tsuboi K, Chang J, Whitby L, Speers A, Pugh H, Cravatt B. Discovery and optimization of piperidyl-1,2,3-triazole ureas as potent, selective, and in vivo-active inhibitors of α/β-hydrolase domain containing 6 (ABHD6). Journal of medicinal chemistry. 2013;56(21): 8270-9. PMID: 24152295 | PMCID: PMC3987869
- Hsu K, Tsuboi K, Whitby L, Speers A, Pugh H, Inloes J, Cravatt B. Development and optimization of piperidyl-1,2,3-triazole ureas as selective chemical probes of endocannabinoid biosynthesis. Journal of medicinal chemistry. 2013;56(21): 8257-69. PMID: 24152245 | PMCID: PMC3984011
- Hsu K, Tsuboi K, Adibekian A, Pugh H, Masuda K, Cravatt B. DAGLβ inhibition perturbs a lipid network involved in macrophage inflammatory responses. Nature chemical biology. 2012;8(12): 999-1007. PMID: 23103940 | PMCID: PMC3513945