- BS, Princeton University
- PhD, University of Pennsylvania
- Assistant Professor, Pharmacology
Epigenetic and genetic mechanisms underlying metabolic disease
Our laboratory is interested in investigating how cellular processes govern proper metabolic function and how abnormal physiology leads to metabolic disease. In particular, we aim to understand genetic and epigenetic mechanisms regulating metabolism. We are focusing on genome-wide chromatin changes underlying physiological dysfunction, which include chromatin accessibility, nuclear localization & dynamics, and genome organization. Our laboratory utilizes functional genomics, chromatin biology, physiology, and transcriptional regulation in a comprehensive approach to decipher molecular mechanisms in mammalian models of human metabolic disease.
- Bochkis I, Przybylski D, Chen J, Regev A. Changes in nucleosome occupancy associated with metabolic alterations in aged mammalian liver. Cell reports. 2014;9(3): 996-1006. PMID: 25437555 | PMCID: PMC4250828
- Bochkis I, Shin S, Kaestner K. Bile acid-induced inflammatory signaling in mice lacking Foxa2 in the liver leads to activation of mTOR and age-onset obesity. Molecular metabolism. 2013;2(4): 447-56. PMID: 24327960 | PMCID: PMC3855091
- Bochkis I, Schug J, Ye D, Kurinna S, Stratton S, Barton M, Kaestner K. Genome-wide location analysis reveals distinct transcriptional circuitry by paralogous regulators Foxa1 and Foxa2. PLoS genetics. 2012;8(6): e1002770. PMID: 22737085 | PMCID: PMC3380847
- Bochkis I, Schug J, Rubins N, Chopra A, O'Malley B, Kaestner K. Foxa2-dependent hepatic gene regulatory networks depend on physiological state. Physiological genomics. 2009;38(2): 186-95. PMID: 19417011 | PMCID: PMC2712224
- Bochkis I, Rubins N, White P, Furth E, Friedman J, Kaestner K. Hepatocyte-specific ablation of Foxa2 alters bile acid homeostasis and results in endoplasmic reticulum stress. Nature medicine. 2008;14(8): 828-36. PMID: 18660816 | PMCID: PMC4095974
- Behr R, Sackett S, Bochkis I, Le P, Kaestner K. Impaired male fertility and atrophy of seminiferous tubules caused by haploinsufficiency for Foxa3. Developmental biology. 2007;306(2): 636-45. PMID: 17488644 | PMCID: PMC1952241
- Phuc Le P, Friedman J, Schug J, Brestelli J, Parker J, Bochkis I, Kaestner K. Glucocorticoid receptor-dependent gene regulatory networks. PLoS genetics. 2005;1(2): e16. PMID: 16110340 | PMCID: PMC1186734
- Whitton Holly , Singh Larry , Patrick Marissa, Price Andrew, Osorio Fernando, Lopez-Otin Carols, Bochkis Irina . Changes at the nuclear lamina alter binding of pioneer factor Foxa2 in aged liver. Aging Cell . .