- BS, Tsinghua University
- PhD, University of Alberta
- Postdoc, The Scripps Research Institute
- Associate Professor, Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics
Spatiotemporal Regulation of Biological Signaling; Protein Engineering for Imaging, Diagnostics, and Therapeutics
The Ai laboratory uses interdisciplinary approaches in chemistry, engineering, biophysics, and physiology to study and manipulate complex biological systems, with a focus on the development of protein-based biosensors to peer into cells and brains to understand their communications.
We use a collection of technologies, such as protein engineering, fluorescence imaging, bioluminescence imaging, synthetic chemistry, electrophysiology, and MRI to dissect biological pathways related to metabolism, redox biology, insulin receptor signaling, and neurotransmission.
Our immediate goal is to monitor biological signaling in real time with excellent spatial resolution and molecular precision in physiologically relevant environments. Our long-term goal is to apply these new probes to live cells and rodent models to understand communications relevant to diabetes, cancer development and progression, cognition and behavior, and neurological disorders.
- Fan Y, Makar M, Wang M, Ai H. Monitoring thioredoxin redox with a genetically encoded red fluorescent biosensor. Nature chemical biology. 2017. PMID: 28671680 | PMCID: PMC5605834
- Yeh H, Karmach O, Ji A, Carter D, Martins-Green M, Ai H. Red-shifted luciferase-luciferin pairs for enhanced bioluminescence imaging. Nature methods. 2017. PMID: 28869756 | PMCID: PMC5678970
- Chen Z, Ai H. Single Fluorescent Protein-Based Indicators for Zinc Ion (Zn(2+)). Analytical chemistry. 2016;88(18): 9029-36. PMID: 27539450
- Chen Z, Tian Z, Kallio K, Oleson A, Ji A, Borchardt D, Jiang D, Remington S, Ai H. The N-B Interaction through a Water Bridge: Understanding the Chemoselectivity of a Fluorescent Protein Based Probe for Peroxynitrite. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2016;138(14): 4900-7. PMID: 27019313 | PMCID: PMC4958459
- Youssef S, Ren W, Ai H. A Genetically Encoded FRET Sensor for Hypoxia and Prolyl Hydroxylases. ACS chemical biology. 2016;11(9): 2492-8. PMID: 27385075 | PMCID: PMC5026574
- Fan Y, Chen Z, Ai H. Monitoring redox dynamics in living cells with a redox-sensitive red fluorescent protein. Analytical chemistry. 2015;87(5): 2802-10. PMID: 25666702
- Ren W, Ji A, Ai H. Light activation of protein splicing with a photocaged fast intein. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2015;137(6): 2155-8. PMID: 25647354
- Chen Z, Ai H. A highly responsive and selective fluorescent probe for imaging physiological hydrogen sulfide. Biochemistry. 2014;53(37): 5966-74. PMID: 25141269
- Ji A, Ren W, Ai H. A highly efficient oxidative condensation reaction for selective protein conjugation. Chemical communications (Cambridge, England). 2014;50(56): 7469-72. PMID: 24875017
- Chen Z, Ren W, Wright Q, Ai H. Genetically encoded fluorescent probe for the selective detection of peroxynitrite. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2013;135(40): 14940-3. PMID: 24059533
- Chen S, Chen Z, Ren W, Ai H. Reaction-based genetically encoded fluorescent hydrogen sulfide sensors. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2012;134(23): 9589-92. PMID: 22642566