- MSc, CCMB, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, Indi
- PhD, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- Assistant Professor, Medicine- Infectious Diseases and International Health
- Phone: 434-243-7243
- Email: email@example.com
Iron-uptake mechanisms and Virulence Factors of Francisella tularensis; Microbial Pathogenesis
Tularemia is a plague-like disease caused by the bacterium Francisella tularensis. This organism is highly infectious as an aerosol and an effective vaccine for the agent does not currently exist. My major research interest is in mechanisms governing pathogenicity of this intracellular pathogen. Acquisition of iron in the host environment is a challenge for the pathogen, and we are studying the mechanisms for acquisition of iron using a combination of bioinformatics, genetic and proteomic methods. Defining iron uptake and utilization mechanisms could lead to development of vaccine and therapeutic strategies. We are characterizing a siderophore-mediated uptake mechanism, and are also looking at transcriptional regulation of bacterial genes in response to iron.
A second research interest is the histone deacetylases of the protozoan parasite, Entamoeba histolytica. I am interested in studying these enzymes with the goal of therapeutic intervention using specific inhibitors.
Girija Ramakrishnan is an affiliated faculty member of the Microbiology, Immunology and Infectious Diseases program.
- Ramakrishnan G, Rogers J, Mann B, Petri W. New tools for genetic analysis of Entamoeba histolytica: blasticidin S deaminase and green fluorescence protein. Parasitology international. 2001;50(1): 47-50. PMID: 11267932
- Ramakrishnan G, Gilchrist C, Musa H, Torok M, Grant P, Mann B, Petri W. Histone acetyltransferases and deacetylase in Entamoeba histolytica. Molecular and biochemical parasitology. 2004;138(2): 205-16. PMID: 15555732
- Sullivan J, Jeffery E, Shannon J, Ramakrishnan G. Characterization of the siderophore of Francisella tularensis and role of fslA in siderophore production. Journal of bacteriology. 2006;188(11): 3785-95. PMID: 16707671
- Ramakrishnan G, Meeker A, Dragulev B. fslE is necessary for siderophore-mediated iron acquisition in Francisella tularensis Schu S4. Journal of bacteriology. 2008;190(15): 5353-61. PMID: 18539739
- Sen B, Meeker A, Ramakrishnan G. The fslE homolog, FTL_0439 (fupA/B), mediates siderophore-dependent iron uptake in Francisella tularensis LVS. Infection and immunity. 2010;78(10): 4276-85. PMID: 20696823
- Ramakrishnan G, Sen B, Johnson R. Paralogous outer membrane proteins mediate uptake of different forms of iron and synergistically govern virulence in Francisella tularensis tularensis. The Journal of biological chemistry. 2012;287(30): 25191-202. PMID: 22661710 | PMCID: PMC3408188
- Ging J, Tejerina-Anton R, Ramakrishnan G, Nielsen M, Murphy K, Gorham J, Nguyen T, Orlov A. Development of a conceptual framework for evaluation of nanomaterials release from nanocomposites: Environmental and toxicological implications. The Science of the total environment. 2013;473 9-19. PMID: 24361443
- Winship I, Armitage G, Ramakrishnan G, Dong B, Todd K, Shuaib A. Augmenting collateral blood flow during ischemic stroke via transient aortic occlusion. Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism : official journal of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 2013;34(1): 61-71. PMID: 24045399
- Phua K, Tee N, Tan N, Ramakrishnan G, Teoh Y, Bock H, Liu Y. A Hospital-Based Surveillance of Rotavirus Gastroenteritis in Children <5 Years of Age in Singapore. The Pediatric infectious disease journal. 2013. PMID: 23958814
- Ramakrishnan G, Ramanandan G, Adam A, Xu M, Kumar N, Hendrikx R, Planken P. Enhanced terahertz emission by coherent optical absorption in ultrathin semiconductor films on metals. Optics express. 2013;21(14): 16784-98. PMID: 23938530
- Denny L, Adewole I, Anorlu R, Dreyer G, Moodley M, Smith T, Snyman L, Wiredu E, Molijn A, Quint W, Ramakrishnan G, Schmidt J. Human papillomavirus prevalence and type distribution in invasive cervical cancer in sub-Saharan Africa. International journal of cancer. Journal international du cancer. 2013;134(6): 1389-98. PMID: 23929250
- Ramakrishnan G, Sen B. The FupA/B protein uniquely facilitates transport of ferrous iron and siderophore-mediated ferric iron across the outer membrane of Francisella tularensis Live Vaccine Strain. Microbiology (Reading, England). 2013. PMID: 24307666
- Ramakrishnan G, Davaakhuu G, Kaplun L, Chung W, Rana A, Atfi A, Miele L, Tzivion G. Sirt2 Deacetylase Is A Novel AKT Binding Partner Critical For AKT Activation By Insulin. The Journal of biological chemistry. 2014. PMID: 24446434