Frederick H. Epstein
- PhD, University of Virginia
- BS, University of Rochester
- Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Coronary Heart Disease; Myocardial Function; Myocardial Perfusion
The general goal of my lab is to develop MRI techniques for assessing the structure, function, and perfusion of the cardiovascular system, particularly in the setting of coronary heart disease. Recent projects have included developing echo-planar MRI methods for imaging myocardial perfusion throughout the entire heart and developing displacement-encoded MRI for high-resolution measurements of intramyocardial motion. We have access to state-of-the-art whole body 1.5T scanners for human imaging studies and to a high-field 4.7T MRI scanner for imaging small animals, particularly mice. Through collaborations with cardiologists and molecular biologists, our novel MRI methods are applied to studies involving both clinical cardiology and basic cardiovascular science.
Imaging myocardial mechanics with Cine DENSE (Displacement Encoding with Stimulated Echoes)MRI, including pulse sequence development and improving image analysis methods. MRI in mouse models of cardiovascular disease. Some projects include 3D Cine DENSE in mice, MRI of macrophage infiltration in myocardial infarction, using arterial spin labeling and first-pass MRI to quantify myocardial perfusion, T2-weighted imaging of myocardial edema, and 3D phase contrast MRI of aortic blood flow and wall shear stress.
MRI of pancreatic beta cells using manganese and other targeted contrast agents as well as quantitation through MR relaxometry and multi-compartment models.
- Nayak K, Nielsen J, Bernstein M, Markl M, D Gatehouse P, M Botnar R, Saloner D, Lorenz C, Wen H, S Hu B, Epstein F, N Oshinski J, Raman S. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance phase contrast imaging. Journal of cardiovascular magnetic resonance : official journal of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2015;17(1): 71. PMID: 26254979
- Ramachandran R, Chen X, Kramer C, Epstein F, Bilchick K. Singular Value Decomposition Applied to Cardiac Strain from MR Imaging for Selection of Optimal Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Candidates. Radiology. 2015;275(2): 413-20. PMID: 25581423 | PMCID: PMC4456179
- Naresh N, Chen X, Roy R, Antkowiak P, Annex B, Epstein F. Accelerated dual-contrast first-pass perfusion MRI of the mouse heart: Development and application to diet-induced obese mice. Magnetic resonance in medicine : official journal of the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine / Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2014. PMID: 24760707
- Rinkevich-Shop S, Landa-Rouben N, Epstein F, Holbova R, Feinberg M, Goitein O, Kushnir T, Konen E, Leor J. Injectable collagen implant improves survival, cardiac remodeling, and function in the early period after myocarditis in rats. Journal of cardiovascular pharmacology and therapeutics. 2014;19(5): 470-80. PMID: 24572032
- Jiji R, Pollak A, Epstein F, Antkowiak P, Meyer C, Weltman A, Lopez D, Dimaria J, Hunter J, Christopher J, Kramer C. Reproducibility of rest and exercise stress contrast-enhanced calf perfusion magnetic resonance imaging in peripheral arterial disease. Journal of cardiovascular magnetic resonance : official journal of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2013;15 14. PMID: 23343398 | PMCID: PMC3562222
- Antkowiak P, Stevens B, Nunemaker C, McDuffie M, Epstein F. Manganese-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging detects declining pancreatic β-cell mass in a cyclophosphamide-accelerated mouse model of type 1 diabetes. Diabetes. 2012;62(1): 44-8. PMID: 22933107 | PMCID: PMC3526033
- Konkalmatt P, Wang F, Piras B, Xu Y, O'Connor D, Beyers R, Epstein F, Annex B, Hossack J, French B. Adeno-associated virus serotype 9 administered systemically after reperfusion preferentially targets cardiomyocytes in the infarct border zone with pharmacodynamics suitable for the attenuation of left ventricular remodeling. The journal of gene medicine. 2012;14(9): 609-20. PMID: 23065925 | PMCID: PMC3729029
- Naresh N, Xu Y, Klibanov A, Vandsburger M, Meyer C, Leor J, Kramer C, French B, Epstein F. Monocyte and/or macrophage infiltration of heart after myocardial infarction: MR imaging by using T1-shortening liposomes. Radiology. 2012;264(2): 428-35. PMID: 22723500 | PMCID: PMC3401349
- Pollak A, Meyer C, Epstein F, Jiji R, Hunter J, Dimaria J, Christopher J, Kramer C. Arterial spin labeling MR imaging reproducibly measures peak-exercise calf muscle perfusion: a study in patients with peripheral arterial disease and healthy volunteers. JACC. Cardiovascular imaging. 2012;5(12): 1224-30. PMID: 23236972 | PMCID: PMC3531823
- Salerno M, Janardhanan R, Jiji R, Brooks J, Adenaw N, Mehta B, Yang Y, Antkowiak P, Kramer C, Epstein F. Comparison of methods for determining the partition coefficient of gadolinium in the myocardium using T(1) mapping. Journal of magnetic resonance imaging : JMRI. 2012. PMID: 23197434 | PMCID: PMC3899916
- Tarroni G, Corsi C, Antkowiak P, Veronesi F, Kramer C, Epstein F, Walter J, Lamberti C, Lang R, Mor-Avi V, Patel A. Myocardial perfusion: near-automated evaluation from contrast-enhanced MR images obtained at rest and during vasodilator stress. Radiology. 2012;265(2): 576-83. PMID: 22893711 | PMCID: PMC3480816
- Epstein F, Meyer C. Myocardial perfusion using arterial spin labeling CMR: promise and challenges. JACC. Cardiovascular imaging. 2011;4(12): 1262-4. PMID: 22172782 | PMCID: PMC3254141
- Zhong X, Spottiswoode B, Meyer C, Kramer C, Epstein F. Imaging three-dimensional myocardial mechanics using navigator-gated volumetric spiral cine DENSE MRI. Magnetic resonance in medicine : official journal of the Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine / Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 2010;64(4): 1089-97. PMID: 20574967 | PMCID: PMC2946451