Edward H. Bertram
- BA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Professor, Neurology
- Phone: 924-5253
- Email: email@example.com
Studies of various aspects of epilepsy using anatomy and in vivo and in vitro physiology.
This laboratory is using a new animal model of chronic limbic epilepsy to investigate the natural history of untreated epilepsy. This study will provide the basis for examining a variety of factors which may affect long-term outcome. In addition, the functional anatomy of limbic seizures is under investigation to determine which brain regions are critical to the generation of spontaneous seizures. These studies include the evaluation of physiologic and anatomic interactions among these areas to determine how normal function and connectivity may be altered to achieve this pathologic state.
Clinical investigation centers on the evaluation of patients for surgical treatment of intractable epilepsy, concentrating on improving monitoring and imaging techniques that will better localize the epileptogenic region. These studies involve investigators from neurosurgery, neuroradiology, neuropathology, neuropsychology, and biomedical engineering.
- Electrophysiology in epilepsy surgery: Roles and limitations. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology. 2014;17 S40-4. PMID: 24791088 | PMCID: PMC4001233
- Extratemporal lobe circuits in temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy & behavior : E&B. 2014. PMID: 25238899
- Hargus N, Nigam A, Bertram E, Patel M. Evidence for a role of Nav1.6 in facilitating increases in neuronal hyperexcitability during epileptogenesis. Journal of neurophysiology. 2013;110(5): 1144-57. PMID: 23741036 | PMCID: PMC3763090
- Neuronal circuits in epilepsy: Do they matter? Experimental neurology. 2012. PMID: 22342991 | PMCID: PMC4266595
- Thom M, Bertram E. Temporal lobe epilepsy. Handbook of clinical neurology / edited by P.J. Vinken and G.W. Bruyn. 2012;107 225-40. PMID: 22938974
- Why don't medicines for epilepsy always work? Rinshō shinkeigaku = Clinical neurology. 2011;50(11): 893. PMID: 21921496
- Sloan D, Zhang D, Bertram E. Excitatory amplification through divergent-convergent circuits: the role of the midline thalamus in limbic seizures. Neurobiology of disease. 2011;43(2): 435-45. PMID: 21554957
- Sloan D, Zhang D, Bertram E. Increased GABAergic inhibition in the midline thalamus affects signaling and seizure spread in the hippocampus-prefrontal cortex pathway. Epilepsia. 2011;52(3): 523-30. PMID: 21204829 | PMCID: PMC3058300
- Dudek F, Bertram E. Counterpoint to "what is an epileptic seizure?" by D'Ambrosio and Miller. Epilepsy currents / American Epilepsy Society. 2010;10(4): 91-4. PMID: 20697504 | PMCID: PMC2912541
- Hargus N, Merrick E, Nigam A, Kalmar C, Baheti A, Bertram E, Patel M. Temporal lobe epilepsy induces intrinsic alterations in Na channel gating in layer II medial entorhinal cortex neurons. Neurobiology of disease. 2010;41(2): 361-76. PMID: 20946956 | PMCID: PMC3014455
- Thom M, Mathern G, Cross J, Bertram E. Mesial temporal lobe epilepsy: How do we improve surgical outcome? Annals of neurology. 2010;68(4): 424-34. PMID: 20976764 | PMCID: PMC2966035
- Hargus N, Bertram E, Patel M. Adenosine A1 receptors presynaptically modulate excitatory synaptic input onto subiculum neurons. Brain research. 2009;1280 60-8. PMID: 19450566 | PMCID: PMC2731234